Confirmation Retreat: March 3rd - 5th, 2023At camp we know that confirmation is an important step in one's life of faith, so each year we offer our Confirmation Retreat, open to all PC(USA) confirmands and their mentors. This retreat focuses on building strong bonds between youth and their mentors, as well as helping confirmands learn the tools they will need on a lifelong journey of faith. Each year youth gather together at Pyoca from across Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio to participate in keynotes and worship each day, meet new friends through small group sessions, and have plenty of time to explore all that camp has to offer.
COVID-19 RETREAT PRECAUTIONS:
With the ongoing pandemic, COVID-19 precautions will look a a great deal like our summer camp protocols in order to ensure the health and safety of both our guests and staff.
- Full vaccination of retreat guests, for both youth and adults, is highly encouraged for the safety of all participants.
- All retreat guests are asked to practice good hand hygiene and maintain social distance when possible (hand sanitizing stations will be available in public areas).
- All Pyoca facilities have been outfitted with central air purifiers and enhanced cleaning measures have been implemented.
- Anyone experiencing signs or symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, difficulty breathing) is asked to stay home for the protection of other guests and staff.
We are adhering to the latest CDC guidance. If conditions or expectations change we will notify all participants prior to the retreat.
MEET OUR KEYNOTE SPEAKER: We're excited to welcome Rev. Carrie Winebrenner, Associate Pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, as this year's Confirmation keynote speaker. Check out Carrie's bio below:
RETREAT THEME: This year's theme comes from PC(USA)'s Matthew 25 curriculum Commissioned to Change the World. We will continue to explore the themes around Matthew 25 from our Fall Youth Retreat and expand upon how youth are called to serve God and the world. An excerpt from curriculum author Mark D. Hinds, Ed.D.: "Imagine Matthew 25:31-40 as a confirmation service. As the nations present themselves before the throne, there is no creed, no profession of faith, no examination of their intellectual grasp of the Bible or church history and no declaration of church membership. The sheep, unaware of having done anything special, are invited to 'inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world' (Matthew 25:34). 'Inheritance' implies a familial relationship; they already belong. Belonging has somehow resulted in behavior that reflects God's character: 'The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness' (Exodus 34:6). Confirmation in the Matthew 25 congregation focuses on the church's affirmation of the teenager as the beloved child of God in baptism and the community's covenant embrace through the laying on of hands. Confirmation also confers a priestly vocation through the anointing with oil. We are God's image-bearing stewards of the goodness and beauty of creation, empowered by the Spirit's gifts of grace: 'the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord,' the spirit of joy in God's presence (Isaiah 11:2-3a)." Mark expands upon his understanding of confirmation and the Matthew 25 church in a recent article written for The Presbyterian Outlook. Click here to read the article.
Registration:WHAT'S INCLUDED IN MY REGISTRATION? The Confirmation Retreat pricing structure is all-inclusive, with meals, lodging, and activities included. ALL-INCLUSIVE REGISTRATION FEES:
- Youth: $140.00; includes two nights of lodging, four meals, snacks, and all program activities.
- Adult: $70.00; includes two nights of lodging, four meals, snacks, and all program activities.
- Pay the $25 deposit and log back into your account later to pay remaining fees,
- Pay the registration fees in full,
- Select the "Small Group Leader" option if you are volunteering to serve in this capacity at the retreat (fees are covered by camp and no immediate payment is due). Volunteers will be contacted by the Pyoca office and a discount code will be applied to your fees.
- Choose the "Church Payment" option and no fees are immediately due. Pyoca will invoice your congregation.
- Work to transfer your registration to another Pyoca program, or,
- Provide participants the opportunity to donate or receive a full/partial refund of their registration fees.
HAVE QUESTIONS? We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please contact our office at (812) 358-3413 or firstname.lastname@example.org.